Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Changing the World!


Per·spec·tive:
a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view.

Do you have it in your heart to make a difference?  To change the world? 

I do!

I want to leave a legacy of loving, learning, teaching, and inspiring others to grow and live an abundant and audacious life!  Yes, even at work!

My dad has always reminded me that my perspective counts!  I value his simple and straightforward approach to life. The person that I can change is ME!  Yep, only me.  How I decide to approach this life will determine my happiness factor.

Teaching has changed greatly since I began my career many years ago.  When I started there were no standards.  Just textbooks!  What I remember most from those years is how much I loved those children! 
Today more than ever we must focus on our love for children.  There are so many things that can rob us of our joy.  

I read this article in Leadership 360  about Sam Berns.  Sam suffered from a very rare illness that recently ended his precious life.  Sam's perspective on life can help us all.  Take a few minutes and listen to his philosophy for a happy life:

       

Sam's Lessons:
Don't focus (waste your energy) on what you can't do; focus on what you CAN do!
Surround yourself with positive people who support you!
Keep moving forward!
Never miss a party!

I want to remember and take his advice to heart!  There are so many things that I can do as an educator that can change the lives of the students I serve.  I can be a bright light in a teacher's life!

I want to be that positive person that supports others.  My attitude can be the driving force that changes the climate of a school.  Supporting others and living life with them!  I love my family and friends!  I also love teachers and the children we serve!

Keep moving forward!  I must learn from the past, focus on the present, and plan for the future.  I must keep current with my craft.  My learning never stops.  If a child is struggling, what do I need to learn that will help them?  How might I change my instruction to meet the needs of my students? How can I support teachers and help them be more confident and secure?

Celebrate!  Enjoy this life!  Celebrate at school and at home.  Children thrive when they are surrounded by people that will celebrate when they succeed and support them when they struggle.  I love a party!  Creating a fun and happy environment at school is never a waste of time.  You can teach and have fun at the same time!

What a courageous young man!  His bravery is an example for us all.  My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.  

Go and change your world! You most certainly CAN!




3 comments:

  1. I love this, Sandra. Thanks for the pep talk and for sharing Sam's story!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words remind me to breathe. Thank you Sandra.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete