Saturday, April 14, 2012

Saturday Sayings!


Happy Saturday!  Welcome to the second installment of Saturday Sayings!  I am excited to join Tammy at Forever in First, Julie at Lighting a Fire in Third Grade, and Lori at Conversations in Literacy, as we share our favorite quotes and reflections! Tammy has allowed us to link with her during the month of April! Please visit all of our blogs and join the discussion!  We would love to hear from you!

My quote is taken from Reading Today, the April/May 2012 edition of the IRA publication.
Sally Grimes writes about school-based models for struggling readers.
"The Literacy Team should be led by a strong, knowledgeable principal, and pass the "ACID" test which addresses: Assessment, Curriculum, Infrastructure, and Development (of Professionals).  The members of the team plan grade level and data meetings that focus on intervention plans for struggling students that assure appropriate programs, adequate communication between those involved with the child, proper group composition, and time."

As the RTI coordinator for my district and a literacy coach, I agree with Sally!  Administrators, teachers, and volunteers can increase their knowledge of literacy/interventions and work together to meet the needs of struggling students!  Classroom teachers cannot do this alone.  They need the support of a knowledgeable team to help them meet the needs of struggling students.  
What do you think?  I would love to hear from you!
Sandi




9 comments:

  1. It is nice to have a team's perspective when dealing with puzzling problems. It can be hard to solve them all by yourself for sure. Thank you again for joining me. I love reflecting with you all!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the coordinator for RTI in my building also. It does take a team effort to meet struggling students' needs. Our RTI has come a long ways, but we are always tweeking and trying to improve.
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my RTI team at my school! I couldn't do it without them! Great post :)

    Julie
    Light a Fire in Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I joined the RTI team as a new teacher, and it was a great experience. I felt like it gave me many more ideas for my own struggling students because I had helped brainstorm interventions for other teachers' students. Plus, I knew more about how the RTI process worked and when I should be using it.

    I think one of the best things about RTI at my last school was that we had a mix of old and new teachers, but also a mix of grade levels. If my 2nd grader was still struggling with some letter sounds, the kindergarten teacher was happy to give ideas and let me borrow some materials. Because it was something she taught regularly, she had so much more knowledge about it than I did!

    I'm a new follower!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for responding! I so glad that RTI has been a good experience for you! Welcome Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think RTI programs are some of the best things that have happened in our local schools! I've done private tutoring for years, and I have seen a huge improvement in young struggling students from surrounding districts. My hat's off to all of these folks working on this...it's EFFECTIVE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy,
      Thank you for stopping by and commenting! So glad that you are seeing the difference! Teachers need to know that it is helping.

      Delete
  7. Hi Sandi,

    I just discovered your blog through Tammy's and am now your newest follower! I just love your Saturday Sayings! What a great way to reflect and inspire new thinking!

    As a teacher, I think collaboration with other colleagues is one of the most important things we can do to help our students. I know that working with other teachers in various grade levels has helped my teaching immensely! After all... two heads are better than one! :-)

    Chelsea
    divinginandmakingasplash.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Chelsea! Thank you! I am so glad that Tammy added us to her wonderful Saturday posts. I look forward to visiting you on your blog!

      Delete