Monday, November 7, 2011

Fry Phrases Freebie

Nothing directly impacts comprehension like fluency!  Yet, we spend so little time building it.  One way to practice fluency in a quick manner everyday is to use Fry Phrases.  (Dr. Edward Fry's list of the most used words in reading and writing, delivered in phrases.)    
For students in grades 3-5, you can use Tim Rasinski's list found here.  There are several Power Points online that use the phrases like this one! Students read the phrases as they appear.  As fluency increases, you can speed up the slides. 
For younger readers I needed a set of lower-leveled phrases.  I decided to put these on cards.  Students can master the phrases in small groups.  We plan on spending a few minutes everyday practicing fluency with the students who need it.  Click below each picture to download.
                        SET ONE                           


Print on cardstock and laminate. (French Fries back of card).  I will add more sets soon.
Other ideas for using the cards:
Students can pick a card and write a sentence.  Points can be given for the correct number of cards read.  Students can graph their progress.  

3 comments:

  1. Sandi, I like these phrases and have printed off the first two lists to try with my struggling readers. I'm going to check out the other lists to see which phrases might benefit my other students. Thanks! C. Ginn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra:

    I have several sixth graders who are struggling with fluency and I can't wait to try these!

    Thanks for your (generous) sharing! I'm your newest (elated!) follower!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to trying this out in class. Thanks for the free sets! :) I'm your newest follower.

    Theresa
    Pinkadots Elementary

    ReplyDelete