Sunday, September 26, 2010

Trip Down Memory Lane

Last week, I went to see my aunt in her new home.  After lunch, my mother and I sat with her and reminisced.  It was pure pleasure to remember the many times that the three sisters had taken me, my sister, and cousins on overnight trips and vacations.  I have wonderful memories that will last a lifetime.  If someone asked me to write about these memories, I would have trouble choosing which one I wanted to share!  Our students have memories that they can use to “find their voice” when writing.  We need to help students awake the memories that are sleeping quietly under the surface, and get their thoughts onto the page. 
Saturdays and Tea Cakes, by Lester L. Laminack, is a wonderful read-aloud that can help you awaken students’ memories.   This is the official Website of the author Lester Laminack.  He is an award-winning children’s author and educator.  Laminack’s, Cracking Open the Author's Craft, provides you with multiple tools that you can use to introduce your students to techniques and literary elements.  (I have a copy, if you would like to see it!)
The illustrator of Saturdays and Tea Cakes, Chris Soentpiet, offers lesson plans and background information on his Website.
Scholastic has wonderful resources to help you!  You will find an author study of Lester Laminack, and teacher resources for the study on memoir.
I hope that you enjoy these ideas and can use them in your classrooms.  For information on starting writing workshops visit Lucy Calkin's Units of Study here, or Katie Wood Ray information here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment